Any person, who is at least 18 years of age, and lives in the state of Kansas, or lives in a border state and regularly conducts business or is regularly employed in Kansas, may apply to be appointed as a Kansas notary public. Individuals who have been convicted of a felony or have had a professional license revoked do not qualify for a notary commission.

Prior to submitting the form to the Secretary of State's office, the applicant must obtain a good and sufficient bond to the state of Kansas in the sum of $7,500. The bond must be obtained through a commercial surety, usually an insurance company or professional bonding company. The bond ensures that if a notary public fails to properly perform a notarization, the surety will indemnify a third party for any damages caused by the notary's negligence or misconduct.

The applicant must also attach a clear and readable impression of his or her stamp on the application. To be accepted, the notary stamp must include the name of the applicant exactly as it appears on the application; and the words "Notary Public" and "State of Kansas." The stamp may also include a line for an expiration date; however, since the date is assigned by the secretary of state after the application is filed, we recommend that the expiration date be left blank. Finally, the applicant must take the oath of office in front of a notary public, and the notary must complete the oath on the application and sign and affix his or her seal to the application.

Once the Secretary of State's office has received and accepted the application a certificate, wallet card and handbook will be mailed to the home address on the application. Until receipt of the certificate and wallet card, the applicant cannot notarize any documents.

A Kansas notary's commission is good for four years. The certificate and wallet card will include the date that the notary's commission expires. This date must be included in each notarization performed by the notary. The expiration date is determined by the date that the Secretary of State's office files the application, not the date on the bond or the date the application is submitted to our office.

If at any time while commissioned the name, address, phone number or stamp of a notary changes, he or she must file a Change of Status form with the Secretary of State's office. This form can be downloaded from our Web site above or by going to the notary public section of Filings & Forms in the left hand navigation.